July 11, 2013

Horrible Things a Teacher Did

You see that picture to the left? Left to me, I would GLADLY do that. These kids can be so ANNOYING.

Alright. I'm an NYSC Member, teaching at this school in Lagos. I teach two classes, SS1A and SS1C. In SS1A, there are about 230 students. In SS1C, there are about 170 students. So I teach approximately 400 students. And, each class is packed beyond what the chairs and tables can bear. (Please take a moment of silence for the state education system.)

Anyways, I was in class yesterday, teaching them the only subject I teach them--Maths--and it was the penultimate class for the term.

Before I go further, I would like to emphatically state my wholehearted affection for teaching. I love teaching,
with all my strained vocal chords and all the compulsory cold bottles of Coke I take after shouting at my beloved students. I love teaching, with all the bulk of the 400 exam scripts I mark at the end of every term. I love teaching, with every time I need to conjure up a new strategy to get the 230 students of SS1A to keep their mouths shut while I pass a point across. I love teaching, with every silly question I have endured and forced myself to patiently answer. I LOVE TEACHING. Is that clear? Ok, thanks. Let's continue.

So I was in class yesterday, trying to teach my students in SS1A how to calculate the volume of the frustrum of either a pyramid or a cone (Dear reader, I bet you couldn't understand this in less than 2 hours. I DARE you). The confusing part of this topic is figuring out where and how to apply the principle of similar triangles to the question, which is a necessary part of the solution. This was what I was teaching my students.

I'm a kind of person that when I teach, I cannot move forward until you get the message. This cost an extra one hour yesterday and consumed their entire break-time and some more. Finally, the message got through.

Teaching these kids has taught me a few things:

  1. If your class is noisy, it is your fault.
  2. The best way to keep your class engaged (which is the best way you want them) is to make the learning experience interesting. If they are bored, its your fault.
  3. Free education in Lagos state did not reduce the desire of students to learn. It did worse. It reduced the desire of the teachers to teach.
  4. To make it through teaching as an NYSC member in Lagos, be on good terms with every one above you in the chain of command--from your direct supervisor up to the principal.
  5. If you want to teach your students well, you need to love them. The love comes through to them, and they respond to it.
Alright.....that's it. You know it now. What do you think about it?

24 comments:

  1. U lucky u not a govt worker.... Dis is wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a political problem. free education is not good. Cheap education is better

      Delete

  2. I like it.its funny. But wat u say its true. The population of students in our govt schools is outrageous. I think teachers should be given more respect for their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 240 students in a class dats just wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school is currently working on reducing the population

      Delete
  4. Believe me books......
    Its only ten people that u are teaching
    The rest na spectators

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL......I beg to differ....30-40 would be more accurate

      Delete
  5. The best way to serve Nigeria is to be in a classroom...all those bright eyes looking at u, waiting for that eureka moment, nothing beats that. Teaching is a noble profession. Keep fighting good fight bro, under the sun or in the rain. God bless you and God Bless Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel u bro. U got d teaching spirit that's why u can endure it all. As 4 me, if i were to teah, all those guys will fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro......but seriously, they'll ALL fail?

      Delete
  7. Welldone bro, I taught over 600 different kids man, Physics and ICT, is quite challenging and I learnt a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's MUCH......I didn't know that so many students went to school where you served. You really tried bro

      Delete
  8. One thing i got to understand in everything that happens in the globe is there is the Western effect, the African effect and then the Nigerian effect. i learnt free education is practiced in parts of Europe, this did not in anyway reduce the standard of their education. a society has to be hungry to grow and the people have to use the drive the hunger brings to grow. i am not an advocator of free education at least not for tertiary education.

    You indeed made a great point about the things you learnt from your students, how many teachers are still open to learn. it seems all the years of military dictatorship still anchors on them, they believe in this one-way sided system, where they know all and they are god. for a society to grow the teacher needs to teach and learn as you teach, not everyone can teach. teaching is a serious business, they bring light that illuminates not only their students but also the nation. show me a great teacher and i will show you a great nation. *** i speak with serious detestation for the NYSC scheme (removing my 9ja mentality), sending off graduates (never baked, half baked, baked and over baked) to illuminate the minds of our young ones. Why won't we have massive failure in WAEC and the rest. The supposed teachers abandon their work for the amebor committee work of the year and even turning their students to car wash apprentices.***

    Sad indeed, but bravo Uche for learning something those on the job for years refused to learn. To teach you need to ensure you learn from the taught, understand and live in their thought. (i sound almost like Ron Clarke). i remember some teachers who aided me to be where i am and won't forget some who didn't. but (noticing i have typed too many words, and i have limited time) Teachers are key element of our system, our educational system; they should be trained, re-trained and motivated to do their job right. If we fail in all lets not fail in education, its a step to show casing Africa's pride. God bless Africa, God bless Nigeria>>>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such an insightful comment. You made valid points. I also think something else can be done. The YouWin programme created about 15000 jobs. I don't know if the government will do a better job this year, but it can help create vocational jobs, especially because many of the students of the school are busy learning welding or Electrical rewiring or Tailoring or other types of vocations.

      The teachers themselves should be paid with a percentage of their salary based on their performance. With that, they will surely buckle-up.

      Amazing comment bro!

      Delete
  9. Pardon me if I may ask, what is the aim of ASUU? Awaiting words on this. (Sorry every time I have this idea to shoot something, something else intervenes; so will have to leave for now)
    Keep the light burning bro, Floreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASUU doesn't really have a hand in secondary schools bro....and their strike, as far as their reasons are concerned is justified. But it doesn't help the undergraduates. Thanks for your comment bro. Floreat!
      *learn to pull together, each one with the rest*

      Delete
  10. @sirBooks: I've got 2commend your efforts cos 2teach nd impart young minds no easy o. Afterall, many corp members employ various tactics in order 2evade teaching lyk urs truly. Kudos once again. Na me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot bro....we're just doing what we can. All the best!

      Delete
  11. Very well written.Nice one, Books.

    Had the same experience..
    Taught two classes SS2 D&E MATHS, a combined population of 220.

    OVERFLOWING CLASSES AND HOT AS HELL..
    I began borrowing the school's PAsystem to shout-teach. HAHA

    Funny thing..
    Of that Population only Four students- 3girls and a boy, actually took it serious and studied.

    Majority of the teaching staff were passive to the whole scenario as you've rightly noted.

    HORRIBLE!!

    Going forward, more money spent, more commitment on the part of government and teachers cannot be overemphasized.

    Many of the "decrepit" Teachers have to be forcibly retired and Young Minds Employed.
    For the existing Teachers, bonuses should be given, depending on result achieved with the students, and appraised using an unbiased, unriggable Test System.

    The students need more attention, motivation and comfort. And more importantly, Education profile should be cheap, not free. Why? Simple.

    "Awoof they purge belle"

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said bro......well said. I wish I had that PA system.
      Thanks for the comment

      Delete